Corporate Governance – Strengthening the Board and improving gender balance
We have a strong commitment to ensuring that the highest standards of corporate governance are maintained throughout the organisation. As our Group grows, the Board of Directors ensures that we are taking a reasonable strategic approach and managing risk and resources in a balanced and ethical manner. Therefore, it is essential that our Board has the skills, experience and independence to fulfil this important role.
As part of our constant drive to enhance our standards of corporate governance, we identified an opportunity to improve the diversity and broaden the skillset of our Board during 2019
- Working with an independent resourcing consultancy firm, we began an international search for suitably qualified candidates who could bring significant added value to the company
- We were conscious of identifying candidates with international experience in healthcare and technology
- We were also focused on improving the gender balance and independence of the Board.
- Following the extensive search process, we made three new appointments with a combination of PLC board and serving directors retired from the Board
- The change in composition has allowed us to improve the gender balance on the Board, with women now making up 25% of Board membership
- The addition of board members with plc and international senior management experience from US and UK and a more diverse independence of the Board.